Friday, January 21, 2011

Overshare

Have you ever missed your period but come up with negative pregnancy tests and thought "What if I have some sort of period-preventing tumor?" but then would that really be so bad because periods suck anyway....?

No?


Okay, just me then.


----------

I wrote that last week when I thought my period was late. Turns out, it just has a mind of it's own and shows up whenever the hell it feels like it, even if that's 5 days after it's supposed to.

Before this little incident, the possibility of pregnancy never seemed quite so real. I'd been figuring, well, if I get knocked up, I guess I could live with that.

Now?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Reality set in and I realized how deeply in the bowels of hell I would really be if there were a little person growing in me. I have a job. That I LIKE. A lot. I also have a husband that I like. A lot. I have a dog and a life and a shoe addiction that I also like. A lot.

It's not that I hate children. I just hate change -- especially now. Things are goooood. More than that, things are about to get pretty exciting around here: Dave and I are planning a trip to Paris this summer, I will be facing some professional changes come June, Dave's starting work in the fall... That's enough change for me right about now. Throw a mini-me into the mix and take away my wine, and you've got a certain recipe for the apocalypse.

So, I've snapped back to reality, much to my mother's dismay, I'm sure. She'll just have to settle for having a grand-puppy for a few many more years.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can SO relate to you on this!

I cannot imagine plopping a baby into the middle of our lives right now. Someday, but not any time soon. I've decided that I am too selfish now to have a baby. I like my life, my hobbies, my free time, the way I spend my money, all of it. A baby would change all of it and I am NOT ready to make that change.

Sure if somehow I ended up pregnant I'd suck it up and be the best Mom I could, but given a choice, I think it's best to put off for a few years.

I know so many people that are just dying to have a baby and I get that, for them. Me, I'm just going to keep doing my thing. ☺

The Constant Complainer said...

It's not an overshare. This was an interesting post. And like you said, it's not that you hate children.... But I'll tell you one thing - children change everything. Everything! We loved it, but you have to be ready for it. Some people aren't. And you'll welcome a little bundle of joy when the time is right.

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

That's not an overshare and your reaction is actually pretty normal. Paris sounds amazing and that grand-pup is damn adorable

Shellbell said...

i don't hate the idea of you two procreating. I would enjoy playing with the little bugger, getting him really hyper, and then giving him back to you!
That said, I don't blame you one bit. I would lose my mind if I had an offspring anytime soon.
So, we'll both be new moms in our 40's. No big deal. We'll drop our kids off at preschool and feel really old compared to the 26 year olds who are dropping off their's.

Anonymous said...

100% with you on this but I'm going to take it one step further and say I actually *might* hate children. ok, so hate is too strong. but for years I kept telling myself 'give it time; you will want kids." Now I'm starting to wonder...what if I never do?

Related Posts with Thumbnails