Friday, August 19, 2011

Hide yo' kids, hide yo' iPods

J recently had a break-in to her apartment. Thankfully, she wasn't there when it happened, but good lord that's freaky. Someone else. In your home. Taking your stuff. I kind of wanted to move her into my second bedroom for a while, but anyone who knows her knows that the offer would be met with a genuine smile and a "no thanks, you're being insane" eye roll.

Even though I've been locking all the doors I can possibly find ever since I heard this news, I don't think anyone would have an easy time getting into my particular apartment because of my gigantic dog...

As much of a lover as he is, he sounds like he could do some serious damage to your bones if he hears you outside.

Like my own little murdering alarm system.


But I realized something this morning.

If we ever buy a house -- like, with more than one story -- he'd let anyone in, as long as they break into a floor that he is not on.

Burglars above us, on the roof? "No biggie," he'd think.

Thieves below us, in the basement? "They probably belong there."

Roly-poly kleptos stealing all the food from the kitchen (while Roc rests in MY bed upstairs)? "I wonder if they'll drop anything for me..."

FAIL DOG.

(Yet another reason not to buy a single-family place.)

Anyway, stay safe out there, people. Lock your doors, lock your windows and let me know if you ever need to borrow The Roc.


3 comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i don't know what i'd do without my alarm system. i live in the hood, er up and coming area, of CLE and that little beep and sign outside my house allows me to feel safe at night.

TKTC said...

That is an accurate depiction of my response. Honestly, I should be more freaked out than I am but a couple simple precautions and a police report have given me my peace of mind back. And, holler, new laptop. Thanks to the Internet, most of my stuff is backed up. There's some writing I'd rather not have lost (or, er, out in the world) but it is what it is. It has occurred to me that I would need to defend myself if someone did break in while I was there and I'm thinking I'll just start keeping my never used sushi knife in my nightstand. Even with my vicious temper, I don't think I'd be able to reek sustainable destruction on on a burglar with a vibrator and we all know I'm not about to go NRA on this bitch.

terra said...

I don't know what it is lately but it seems like crime is increasing everywhere. We've lived in our neighborhood for 2.5 years now and all of sudden there are break-ins happening all the damn time. Luckily, our dogs are pretty angry sounding when there's any one on the porch, even the UPS man. The cats though, are totally useless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails