As of two days ago, Dave left the hellhole that is Lanzhou and embarked on his 10-day vacation across the more modernized parts of China. He's already seen Tienanmen Square and the Great Wall, and tomorrow he departs for Shanghai for more sightseeing and fun.
However, before this little vacation of his, he was stuck in one of the most industrial (read: crappy) cities in the country. This shit was downright Third World! Well... that might be a tad dramatic, but here, judge for yourself:
- Dave only had 2 hours of hot water allowed in his dorm. Showering, apparently, was a luxury.
- His lab had squat toilets. This is a squat toilet:
- He had no access to a laundry room or laundromat, so he had to do his laundry in the bathtub. The bathtub!
- He could really only stare at a wall for entertainment after work, since he couldn't stream any TV shows or movies online.
- His lab had no heat and typically hovered around 30 degrees, so when he worked, he had to bundle up and pray for sunshine.
Just a reminder to be thankful, America. We are so, so spoiled.