Monday, October 20, 2008

No longer a tag virgin

I've been tagged, ya'll.

(Can you imagine how awkward it would sound if I talked like that?)

Anyway, the lovely Mel over at Life in the Cube has tagged me for a meme. Is that even the right thing to say? Sometimes I really suck at blog lingo. Whatever. It's clearly my first time with this and I now must name 6 random things about myself.



1. I'm a vegetarian. Kinda.

This deserves an entire post of its own (which will probably happen), but for now, all you need to know is that I became vegetarian at age 3 -- if you don't count the fact that I ate hot dogs because my mom told me that they grew on trees. She insists it's the only time she's ever lied to me. Of course, my vegetarianism lasted for nearly two decades until I went to college and realized that I'd better incorporate chicken into my diet if I wanted to survive all four years of cafeteria food. Nowadays I always choose vegetarian meals over anything else.


2. I almost went to law school.

When I wasn't drinking myself stupid at the bars, I was working on my degree in Political Science. I took Constitutional Law, took the LSATs, picked out law schools to apply to... and then completely freaked out during my last semester of college. I called my dad in a panic with my heart pounding and told him I did NOT want to go to law school. Nothing like a last-minute change of plans, huh? I got into grad school for journalism in Maryland, where Dave was at the time, but realized that most employers valued experience and clips over the additional schooling. Into the freelance world I went. I kinda hate that I only have my Bachelor's, but I'm much happier now than I ever would have been on my law school path.


3. Dave and I had a dog once.

When we first started living together, we thought it would be a brilliant idea to get a dog. We adopted a mutt with an unknown (but obviously troubled) background and only kept her for 2 weeks. She attacked other dogs on our walks and I could NOT handle it. The final straw was when we drove her home to meet my family and she snapped at my precious baby, a Vizsla named Monty. "HELL TO THE NO, DAVE!" I said. "You gotta take her back. I can't do this." So, we gave her back. Shameful, I know. I am now extremely gun-shy about getting a pup, even though that was over 3 years ago. Plus, I still don't think I'm ready to share Dave's attention with anyone/anything else quite yet.


4. I hate bananas.

Ugh, fuck bananas. They are disgusting. Seriously, how do you people eat that mush? It's not just the consistency that bothers me though. The taste is just... blech. I have only met one other person who HATES bananas as much as I do and it is a bond that cannot be broken.


5. I'll never forget the name of the gymnast who beat me by 2 tenths of a point at the state meet in 1996.

Workouts 20 hours a week, competitions every weekend -- being a competitive gymnast could be brutal but I loved it. You're probably shocked to hear that I've actually been physically active before. I swear, I was. For about 10 years. During that time, I placed second at the 1996 state all-around competition. Barely. I had an uncharacteristic fall on bars, usually my best event, and it cost me big time. I know, I know, who cares now? But it's something I won't forget. Because I'm just that neurotic. And her name was just that weird...


6. I'm a pizza snob.

Having grown up on the East Coast with incredible pizza, we were never allowed to order from Pizza Hut, Dominos or Papa John's. Dad's rules. I didn't understand it until I actually ate pizza from one of those places after we moved down south. Yikes. Nothing will ever replace good, brick-oven NY pizza and I admit that I got totally spoiled growing up on that. The closest here in Chicago is the deliciousness that comes from Piece, and I remain obsessed with it.



Aaaand I just realized that half of my random facts revolve around food. Go me.

I'm supposed to list out the official rules for this and tag other bloggers, but I want to hear from everyone. Yeah, YOU. Your turn. Tell me something random. I'm calling you out! Lurkers too. I want to know who actually reads this, besides my mom. There's got to be at least, like, 4 of you.

13 comments:

paisana said...

OK, I'll give you one (long time lurker):

I rarely, if ever, reheat things once they have gone into the fridge. This stems back from the years (it feels like decades) that I lived in a dorm-environment either without a microwave or with one that had spotty performance or, worse, WAS ALL THE WAY DOWN THE HALL. Yes, out of sheer laziness, I have started to generally eat food cold and it stuck. This rule, however, does not apply to being at work where I heat food regularly.

Do you feel much more normal now? :)

Anonymous said...

I also HATE bananas. Yuck. I hate them in anything (except maybe ice cream when you can't taste it?) My son also hates bananas and he's only 16 months.

I'm a beauty school drop out. Not beceause I couldn't finish, though. I was just too depressed at the time :(

Anonymous said...

I'm actually laughing out loud right now about the hot dogs on trees comment! My younger brother was the complete opposite. He hated vegetables, and once day I caught my mom sneaking them into the meatballs he loved and told him! 3 year old brat, I was!

I had to laugh when your wrote about NY pizza b/c I went through the same withdrawal when I went to college in Boston. Nothing compares.

-Jacqueline

P.S. I love your blog! I'll definitely be back!

So@24 said...

I have never had the pleasure of enjoying an authentic east coast pizza.

Sigh.

LBluca77 said...

I love bananas. I eat a naner every day.

Aunt Becky said...

I'm going to break the mold! And not give you a fact! Because I'm fresh out!

But I'll tell you this: people who constantly overuse the exclamation point drive me bonkers.

Anonymous said...

Love love love this place!
1. I love my chicken and porkchops--not big on burgers--unless they are Jennie-O Turkey burgers--try them :)

2. I almost went to grad school to become a Speech-Language Pathologist. Not up there like a lawyer, but damn, it's like being a teacher because you work non-stop even when you get home. I'm selfish and want my home time to be just that, mine.

3. Poor dog, but I agree, if another newbie snapped at my little Chester all hell would break loose. I love Vizslas :) Beautiful dogs!

4. Sorry, I love those bananas! No fake flavoring like in candy or store bought smoothies--yuck.

5. I'll never forget the name of the guy who terrorized me throughout 4th-6th grade and then again in 9th grade. Jerry Carmichael. He stopped in 9th grade when I ran into him in the hall---he made a nasty comment about my large chest and I told him to never fucking talk to me again. I think I shocked him. ;)

6. I grew up in Kansas so all we had was the good 'ol Pizza Hut. As I get older a queasy feeling comes over me at the thought. Il Vicino's brick oven pizza is much better but I'm sure it's still NOTHING compared to your pizza back home.

Lisa said...

Paisana: Nice! I'm pretty lazy myself, so can totally understand that.

Miss Burb: You and your son sound like my kind of people.

Jacqueline: Welcome! Notice how the things you shared also centered around food. Love it.

so@24: BLASPHEMY.

lBluca77: I... don't even know what to say... Except "gross," of course. ;-)

Aunt Becky: OMG! Me too! I slap people silly when I see too many exclamation points!

CurlySue: I love that your childhood bully will now find this when he Googles himself. Get the eff outta here Jerry! Unless you're hot and hilarious. Then you can stay.

Anonymous said...

I love using exclamation points! And I love bananas! But I detest mushrooms which is why I failed at being a vegetarian!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

omg you so are a gymnast - you and your little petite self.

i hate you.

kidding, i heart you.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Lurker here...
6 facts go:
1. I hate bananas too. Regrettibly I have to eat them or my legs feel like they are falling off.
2. I dislike NYC after 48 hours. As in NEED TO GO HOME NOW dislike it.
3. I'm an excellent cook and love food, but rarely actually cook or eat anything interesting now that I live alone.
4. I'm living alone for the first time EVER - and mostly loving it.
5. I had 5 different majors in college from Pre-med to Communication & Rhetoric and only picked one because my advisor did it for me.
6. If I don't prepack my lunch for work, I'll seriously spend about an hour and a half deciding what I want.

Lisa said...

Erin: We are the OPPOSITE. I like you anyway.

Alexa: Heart you back.

Courtney: So glad you shared! I can relate to just about everything you said.

Marie said...

I was a Poli Sci major in college too and wanted to be a journalist actually. That idea went down the toilet in grad school when I figured I wasn't reporter quality.

I also HATE bananas. Those things are disgusting!

Related Posts with Thumbnails