Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Live baking

Last night, Dave was out entertaining some professor (that sounds pervy), so I had to feed myself. I decided to be ambitious and make Artichoke Ravioli from Smitten Kitchen. I'm a little obsessed artichokes, so once I read the recipe, I was hooked. Which is bad because, well, cooking has never been my thing.

So, I got home from work and decided to start...


(I took pictures, but forgot to take them off my camera. I mean, seriously, if I'm tackling this big of a challenge, there needs to be photographic evidence. Anyway, check back later -- I'll try to remember to post them after I get back from happy hour tonight.)



6:00 Arrive home with the ingredients I assumed I was missing.

6:01 Realize I don't know how the fuck to work a food processor.

6:10 Pissed off that I can't find the booklet on how to work the food processor. Find an instructional DVD instead. Cringe. Is this necessary?

6:11 Yes, this is necessary. I still can't detach the damn pieces and I don't want to break it.

6:16 Finish watching instructional DVD on food processor, already feeling a big, fat FAIL coming on.

6:17 Assume this will go better with drinking and pour glass of red wine.

6:36 I made dough! It was sticky and wrong at first, so I had to keep adding flour, but it finally worked. I don't think that process should usually take 20 minutes...

6:42 WTF, I cut my pinkie already? How did that even happen?

6:50 With food processor cleaned and butter in the skillet, start chopping onion. Do not cut any more fingers.

7:04 Finish sauteeing and realize we have NO cheese for next step. Time to run downstairs to Whole Foods.

7:22 Ugh, long lines at Whole Foods. Damn cheese. Expensive too.

7:29 Back to cooking... and drinking...

7:32 Assume ground nutmeg is the same as freshly grated nutmeg because I am NOT going back down to the grocery store.

7:37 Curse Dave for hiding the fucking pasta machine. If I get this far and can't find it, there will be Hell To Pay.

8:14 Am I STILL making ravoli? Ugh, is it too late to order a pizza instead?

8:35 Decide to spill red wine on my camera. Oopsie.

9:00 Everything is done, kitchen is pseduo-cleaned and ravioli is baking. Oh, and wine is gone.

9:15 YUM!!


It actually came out great, though three hours seems like an awful lot of time to spend on one meal. Is that some big cooking secret, that making food really takes you guys a looong time and no one talks about it? Or am I JUST that special ed when it comes to the kitchen?

Don't answer that.

9 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

WOW. This sounds like me. I once made biscuits and realized I was out of baking powder, but there was a snowstorm outside, so I just went upstairs and asked my neighbors (who I did not know) if I could borrow some. I then realized I was out of salt (what?), so I had to go back up. THEN I REALIZED I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH FLOUR. So I had to go BACK up and borrow a cup. By this point, there was no turning back.

End result: I got to know my neighbors and they got some fresh baked biscuits. But how embarrassing...

paisana said...

I've had nights like that. I've also had nights where I slaved over something and it turned out just effing awful and Bones and I end up ordering dinner anyway.

My advice? See if you can find some pre-made pasta dough so you don't have to deal with rolling your own. I mean, who does that? Really?

TKTC said...

Ummm, note to Elle Michelle. Normal people do not make their own pasta. RAVIOLI?? A tender pasta dough that then needs to be stuffed and sealed? Seriously? That's AMAZING! I've never done that before. Never made pasta. I just started making my own pie crust and I think that's actually easier. KUDOS!!!

chevelin said...

Oh to be a fly on the wall. I need to see wine-stained photos. (err...i just imagine that can happen with digital)

Anonymous said...

This sounds amazing. Will add it to my list of stuff I want to try and make. Never seen frozen artichokes before though at the store, guess I'll need to take a look.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, see, I would have read that recipe, been enthralled, and then noticed the part where I would need my own pasta machine and promptly called it quits. Congrats on sticking with it and getting it to turn out!!

The Alleged Ringleader said...

Congrats!
YES, I swear that EVERYTHING seems to take a REALLY long time!
You're lucky you have a Whole Foods downstairs. Living in LA means I need to go downstairs, get in my car, drive a mile or so. It's enough to make you give up on cooking and go out to eat!

Aunt Becky said...

You're my personal hero.

Lisa said...

Overcoat: Hahaha, oh wow. I would have given up for sure. But I'm quite lazy...

Paisana: Yeah, making my own dough was nuts. But I figured if I'm gonna do this, I won't half-ass it like I do everything else. And now that I've done it, I NEVER have to do it again.

TKTC: I thought you'd be surprised. :-)

Chevelin: You've seen me pseudo-sloppy-drunk before. You can definitely imagine how this went down.

Curly Sue: I didn't use frozen actually! I didn't see any either, so I used regular ones. I'd recommend buying 2 jars though, not just 1.

Super Girl: Thanks!! I'd never have a pasta machine if I wasn't married to a man who decided we "needed" one. Maybe we did...?

Ringleader: I mean, when you factor in the cost of gas, you might as well just order in every night.

Aunt Becky: I made ravioli, but you're raising CHILDREN. And not monstrous little crazies, either. You're my hero.

Related Posts with Thumbnails